THE HISTORY OF HAZELWOOD ESTATE
The original name for the area is Annagh and was on land belonging to the O'Connors of Sligo, Lords of the territory of Cairbre Drom Cliabh. This area belonged to the O'Connors throughout the Medieval period. During the planning for the aborted Plantation of Connacht, the estate was bought by Sir Phillip Perceval and subsequent allegations claimed that Perceval tricked O'Connor into selling by claiming that the land belonged to the Crown and would be subject to Plantation without any recompense to O'Connor. Owen Wynne purchased the estate in 1722 and subsequent generations lived here for over 200 years.
Photo - Dublin City Library and Archive.